Sunday, October 02, 2005

Kar Peng

I had always been on the plump side since I was just a few months old.

Actually, ‘plump’ is an euphemism; I was plain obese from age 0 to 27. Even though the word ‘obese’ just means ‘very overweight’, I’ve come to hate this word intensely because it was branded on me since primary school and with it comes the image of me being grotesque-looking and unwanted by boys, sports teams and society.

(I’m not exaggerating, anyone who’s big-sized will know how difficult it is living in a world that idolizes thinness. Before Dorothy Perkins came along, how to find big-sized clothes?)

In my life, I have never thought that I would ever become slim. I’ve always been really lazy and it comes to a point when there was too much fat to fight. So I began telling myself that it’s alright to be fat, that I’m one of the ‘crusaders’ against this biased world. Sometimes I managed to convince myself.

However, I saw a friend (Angel, aka Wan Joo) lose 15kg in 2 months and I was really amazed. Wan Joo and I were colleagues and we were both not very confident of our looks. I remembered once when we were on the job in a night spot (we were reporters and covering a story about a pub launch), and we started chatting. The conversation came to the point about our clubbing experiences and I realized that we had the same experience of going to clubs, having men come up to talk to us only because they wanted to get to know the SLIM and pretty friend beside us.

Even after witnessing Wan Joo’s weight loss, I was still very cynical. And then before I knew it, Wan Joo helped another of our friends, Geok Hui, lose almost 10kg within one month. I was amazed and I decided that I should do something about it.

Someone I knew (who’s just a tad plumpish) said that she wouldn’t go lose weight because that would be like selling out to the idea that only thin girls are pretty. I agree, but because I was so very overweight, I realize being stubborn and remaining fat would only be detrimental to me and my health. I certainly wasn’t going to ‘自讨苦吃' (doing something that was going to harm myself anyway).

Plus, I was sick of the fact that people don’t see me for the person I am or do not even bother to try to get to know me better just because I was fat.

With Dreams Inc’s help, I did it. I finally lost 29kg and went from 85kg to 56kg! I am never happier and healthier!

With my new-found figure and new-found confidence, I have found someone who loves and appreciate me and we are getting ROM at the end of the year!

PS: I was watching an episode of Villa Wellness the other day and I realized that I have forgotten how it feels like to be fat. I am really thankful to Wan Joo and Dreams Inc.

Want to be like me? Contact Dreams Inc at verityy@yahoo.com

Cheers, Kar Peng

Return to MAIN PAGE

No comments: